Post Treatment Care for Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom teeth can become a big problem when they start to appear in your mouth. Sometimes, the issues are seen before the teeth erupt. Impacted wisdom teeth don’t have enough room to develop normally and often push other teeth around causing trouble. At Dental Park in McAllen, TX, we’ll extract your wisdom teeth and provide post treatment wisdom tooth removal care tips. By following these tips, you’ll heal quickly without complications. We utilize the latest technological developments to ensure the extractions go as smoothly as possible. Contact our team today to schedule your appointment for wisdom teeth extractions.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction Aftercare
It will take a few days to recover from a wisdom tooth extraction. To ensure your recovery is smooth and fast:
- Apply an ice pack to your cheeks for ten minutes at a time to reduce swelling.
- Bite down on a gauze pad to reduce bleeding and help blood clots form.
- Change your gauze pad every few hours.
- Rest and relax as much as possible.
- Don’t rinse for one day to allow blood to correctly clot.
- Don’t smoke.
- Don’t drink with a straw.
- Eat soft foods like bananas, mashed potatoes, jello, and ice cream.
- Take prescription medication and over-the-counter painkillers.
- Brush and floss, avoiding the extraction sites.
Post-Extraction Procedural Cleaning Tips
The most important thing to do following wisdom teeth extraction is to keep the wounds clean. Food and drink can easily get stuck in the extraction sites. You can keep this area clean by:
- Rinsing with warm water and salt to reduce swelling. Don’t rinse at all the first day after your extractions.
- Using an antiseptic mouth rinse after day one to prevent infection.
- Sleeping and resting with two pillows for a higher level of comfort.
- Avoiding exercise for a few days.
Risks Of Infection And Dry Sockets
Recovery for wisdom tooth extractions is usually about two weeks. If you develop an infection, you need to take antibiotics. Infection symptoms include swelling, severe pain, pus around the wound, and a high temperature. Dry sockets happen when the blood does not correctly clot and is knocked away from the wound, causing throbbing pain. We’ll cover the wound with a dressing and address it quickly. Complications are rare, but it’s important to call us as soon as possible if you experience severe pain or excessive bleeding.
Why You Should Choose Dental Park
The Dental Park team offers top-notch services and aftercare tips. We’ll be there for you through every part of your wisdom tooth extraction. We’re dedicated to ensuring that you receive the highest level of care in our state-of-the-art dentist’s office. We understand having your wisdom teeth taken out is a scary process to many people. We’ll make it as pain-free as possible. We’ll answer all your questions in detail and ensure you understand the procedure. Our dental tools and technology are always top notch to help you feel safe and secure in our office.
Contact Dental Park in McAllen, TX Today
Wisdom tooth extraction is a common procedure at Dental Park. You can trust our professionals to give you the best customer service and aftercare advice to help your recovery time. Contact our team today to schedule your next appointment.